55 RANDOM THINGS ABOUT ME
By Cherry Hinkle
1. I started to write and read at the tender age of 2-1/2. But before I was too young to go to school, I started to make my own books.
2. At the age 10, I created handmade sets for my short plays. I used shoe boxes or cereal boxes to create my sets, decorated them with curtains and furniture cut from catalogs, glue them on the walls of the sets. I did four plays in the school rooms before I was 11.
3. I have a collection of Crystal Balls, Tarot Cards and esoteric books, without a doubt, last time I tried to count; I had over ten thousand of books. Every room in my home contains bookshelves, except bathrooms – the moist atmosphere is not good for books.
4. My most delicate tiny deck of Tarot Cards is less than one inch square; my largest deck is eight inches high. I also have playing cards too.
5. Since infancy the unknown is my fascination! My studies of the unknown includes three universities, and many well known personalities.
6. I am painfully shy, and took classes to learn to function in the public, but I remain painfully shy and private. I learned try hide it enough I can talk to strangers.
7. The dry heat of the western Mojave Desert is my idea of the perfect setting, but also lived in the tropic jungles of Central America. I love the dry heat of the desert.
8. I have sailed the Pacific Ocean, the Atlantic Ocean, the Caribbean Sea, and the Sea of the Cortez. Swam in them too, as well as the Great Salt Lake, more rivers than I could possibly list. Although I have seen them, I never swam in the Great Lakes.
9. The last time I visited Havana, Cuba it was clean and beautiful, these days it is a dirty harbor. I wonder if they still have the colorful scenes made of tiles on the streets of Havana?
10. The Central American small coastal town of LaCeiba, Honduras was once my home. The Caribbean Sea is very deep, and ships can sail just few feet from the shore. There are three islands off the coast of Honduras.
11. From the beach in LaCeiba, I once witnessed three mysterious domes rise from the Caribbean Sea, dripping foamy water, and watched the large saucers fly north, towards the USA. My father and I watched two Flying Saucers circle the banana plantation near the mountains behind La Ceiba in 1953.
12. I have a little stuffed mouse made of mink fur, his name is Magoo. I bought Magoo in Long Beach in 1966; he was the first thing I ever bought in California. 20 years ago, I bought a female mink-clad mouse dressed in red for him! It's not very original, but I named her Minnie.
13. My husband Bill proposed marriage on our first date. I said ‘yes’ six months later. He was a romantic guy, and handsome too.
14. Bill and I were married for over 30 years. We chose a small Las Vegas chapel - The Chapel of the Little Flowers - to celebrate our wedding.
15. Some people have asked me if I am part vampire, because I am allergic to garlic, and until I turned 70 years old, my body never produce tears and couldn't perspire. Then suddenly - my body changed, now I can perspire. I don't like they way it feels.
16. I am very fond of round buildings, triangle shaped clocks and heart shaped rings. Too, I have a fascination for pyramids and gargoyles.
17. My goal is to publish three books, or more before old age over comes me. (or the MIB catches up with me.)
18. After many years of marriage, loving my hubby surprised me with baubles and flowers several times a month. The last time he gave me flowers it was in February in 2013. Bill, my soul mate, passed away in June 2013.
19. I stood face to face with three different reptilian life forms in my life time. They have off an odor that smells like cut cucumbers.
20. With two older sisters and two younger sisters, I stand in the middle of Life's see-saw.
21. If I am not writing, I am sketching or taking photos. I do not like to waste time.
22. No one will starve if I am the cook, but I am not an exceptional talent in the kitchen. I love to cook Mexican food, especially green chili and tortillas! I have never been able to bake cakes or cookies, and that is a documented fact.
23. William Wynn Westcott, the founder of the Golden Dawn, is my ancestor. But another ancestors are Presidents John Adams (the second president of the USA) and John Quincy Adams. (the sixth president of the USA.) I am a direct descendant of those presidents.
24. Keno is my favorite game in any casino; I spent a few years as a Keno Writer on the Las Vegas Strip.
25. One of my wristwatches includes a calendar, the time and a biorhythm chart. Casio Watches are the maker of the biorhythm watch; all my other watches are Seiko.
26. Tom Castello and I became close friends after my dad introduced us. In 1962, we both drove 1950 Packard’s with straight eight engines. They were hard to find in 1962, but we both love that big nosed car!
27. I’ve crossed the United States, from Florida to California, without a map many times. (I've never needed a map to go anywhere.) I couldn’t get lost if I tried. I think I was born with a GPS built into my brain.
28. My favorite constellation is Orion’s Belt. But Draco is a close second place.
29. Once in northern California, was less than four feet from a Bigfoot. The odor is something I do not want to smell twice in my lifetime.
30. I consider myself to be both blessed and star-crossed. I don’t know why I have experienced the strange occulted things I have encountered, but I consider them a Gift from the Gods, to have had Fate touch me many times.
31. I was lucky enough to meet Liberace, and he allowed me to play a few chords on his piano. I met him in in Orlando Florida, but years later, he and I both lived in the same town - Las Vegas, Nevada.
32. I gave birth and raised four children – their hair color ranges from blond to raven black, and despite my mom was a red-head with freckles, none of my kids are red-heads.
33. I was married three times, but my late husband, Bill Hinkle, was my soul mate.
34. I once visited Puerto Rico in the Caribbean Sea, and several other islands there. I took several trips on the Caribbean Sea, and sailed on small ships from Honduras to Panama, off the coast of South America, north to Cuba, British Honduras (Belize) and back to Honduras.
35. My sister Francie married a native man of Honduras. His name was "Hoot" Hyde.
36. I shared my romantic first kiss with an older Latin man in LaCeiba, Honduras. But as a young girl of 10, a cute blond boy of 11 (named Steven) kissed me in Lordsburg, New Mexico.
37. When I was 17, my parents shocked me by entering me into a beauty contest, I didn’t know about it, until two days before I was supposed to be there for the talent section. They didn't tell me they wanted me to enter a beauty contest, they knew if I knew about it, I would have said "no," so the decided not to tell me until it was too late for me to back off. I was not happy with their plans. As a very shy teenager, I didn't want to be on a stage, didn't want to be in a beauty contest, or answer questions in front of every body.
38. When I was five years old I met an angel in a cave on Mt. Shasta, in California. She told me about the missions I will go on in the future. So far, every thing she warned me about have been exactly what she told me.
39. I loathe shopping for anything – but I have a fascination for thrift stores because you never know what you find. In one thrift store I found a large beautiful mirror with carved flowers painted on the black frame for $5.00. I discovered that mirror carried the value of $250.00.
40. I am allergic to dogs and birds but I like them. I love to watch birds in the birdbath, and listen to then sing in my trees.
41. I like cats – and my late Himalayan Cat – Queen Penelope – lived over 28 years.
42. I have family all over the USA, from Atlantic City, New Jersey to Yakima, Washington, to Bismarck, North Dakota to Orlando, Florida, and all points in between!
43. Bill and I love to laugh, so every night we used to watch some silly sit-com and laugh before we go to bed. I still like to do that.
44. I tell people I am five feet tall, but now I started shrinking, I lack more than one inch to be five feet tall. To help me look taller, I stand straight when I walk and wear lifts in my shoes. Last time I measured I stand 4 ft 10-1/2.
45. I like country music, the blues, some early some rock, and classical piano, like Chopin...but I prefer silence to any music.
46. I once had my own band, and have sang on the stage with some of the best country music singers - Kris Kristofferson, Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, George Jones, Johnny Cash & Wynn Stewart and many others, I was friends with cast of the TV show Hee-Haw. I learned to be on the stage, and sang and played bass guitar for 12 years. But I still didn't want to meet the public when I left the stage, but it required, when you are shy, it was not easy to sign autographs and chat with strangers.
47. My mother, Frances E. Lloyd was an artist and President John Kennedy accepted my mother’s portrait painted. It hung in the Kennedy memorial library until Jackie passed away. The monotone portrait of John & Jackie are in the hands of the Kennedy family, as it should be. (but I would love to see it again)
48. I have a small collection of Sci-Fi toys and aliens & flying saucers, including a three foot grey alien in a tube. The collection includes original toys from Star Trek, X-Files, Star Wars and others. At 76 years old, I'm still a kid at heart.
49. No one in my neighborhood knows I study UFOs and Dulce Base, because it is only if I invite someone into my home my studies become obvious.
50. I have a stack of Mensa puzzle game books, to relax I read them and mentally solve the riddles. I was a member of Mensa for many years.
51. I’ve been a fan of metal detectors 1976 when I went to Radio Shack and built my first metal detectors. I worked, and found enough rings to buy a good White’s Detectors! One year I found enough jewelry to enjoy a three month vacation!
52. A few people consider me an expert on Dulce Base; I do not consider me an expert on anything. I just find life fascinating!
53. I never display photographs that look into your eyes, and keep all family portraits on one wall only.
54. I do not like dirigibles, hot balloons or blimps.
55. I do not clowns at all, the so called joy of any circus, they always wonder what the clown make-up hides. But I do have three clown paintings, created by Red Skelton, I do not display them.